Monday, January 30, 2012

The Routine

I've thought short and easy (har har) about whether or not to include a daily workout log here, but I've decided against it, since my workout routine remains pretty much the same week to week. Yes, I know this is bad, but unless somebody wants to buy me the P90X kit, or to come and train me during my lunch hour themselves - eat me (I am chock-full of whole grains and vegetables, after all)*

*I'm not really this cynical; as I progress, I will document any changes / improvements / "hacks" to my workout.

(My diet is likewise pretty routine, but I will be posting a food log, in hopes that it will inspire me add some new dishes to my repertoire)

Instead of a daily log, here's a quick rundown of my weekly workout schedule, which takes approximately 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week:

Monday / Wednesday / Friday - 20 minutes of interval training on a stationary bike (alternating 2 minutes full intensity / 1 minute low intensity. Averages 7 + miles and 350 - 360 calories, according to the notoriously unreliable readout on the equipment). 3 sets each of ab crunches, decline bench crunches, reverse crunches, and oblique crunches.

Tuesday / Thursday - Weights! 3 sets each of dumbbell bench presses, upright row, seated overhead dumbbell press, overhead extensions, seated dumbbell curls, hammer curls, dumbbell kickbacks, and hanging bicep curls and yes I do want to have biceps like Chris Evans in Captain America, thank-you-very-much.


no, not that one.










I WILL chronicle any especially interesting additional workouts I may have - i.e., hiking, biking, substantial progress made on the doorway chin up bar I picked up at Goodwill, etc.

Anyway, what I'm freely admitting here is that this is a starting point, one that I realize I've stayed at for far to long - with less than ideal results. As I continue to work, and learn, and I'm doing more of things that I know I should be doing (and less of the ones that I shouldn't. Yes, cigarettes, I'm looking at you. Critically.) I WILL figure out what works better...

No comments:

Post a Comment